ILORIN, Nigeria – The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the Kwara State Government and development partners have commenced psychosocial support programmes to prepare survivors of the February 3, 2026, Woro abduction and their communities for a safe and successful reunification process.
The intervention comes ahead of the planned return of survivors, who were among the 176 residents abducted during the attack on Woro community in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The initiative was launched during a two-day training programme held on Monday in Ilorin to equip stakeholders with the knowledge and skills needed to provide emotional and psychological support to survivors and their families.
Speaking at the event, UNICEF Chief of Field Office, Kaduna, Dr Gereda Birukila, represented by the agency’s WASH Specialist, Theresa Pama, said proper preparation was essential to ensure survivors returned to a welcoming environment free from discrimination and stigma.
According to him, the programme is designed to help participants understand the emotional needs of survivors while creating safe spaces that encourage healing and reintegration.
“The initiative is aimed at preventing discrimination, depression and other psychological challenges while preparing the community to receive the survivors with care and understanding,” Birukila said.
The Kwara State Commissioner for Social Development, Dr Mariam Nnafatimah Imam, alongside other stakeholders, emphasised the need for sustained mental health and psychosocial support throughout the reintegration process.
The survivors, who were rescued by security operatives earlier in August, remain under the care of the Kwara State Government, where they are receiving medical attention and other forms of support pending their return to their families and communities.
