Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake
ABUJA, Nigeria – The Federal Government has raised fresh concerns over the growing danger posed by more than 4,000 abandoned mining pits in Plateau State, warning that the sites threaten lives and communities if left unrehabilitated.
Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake, issued the warning following the death of seven people in the collapse of an abandoned mine pit in Kassa, Barkin Ladi Local Government Area. In a statement released on Sunday by his Special Assistant on Media, Lara Owoeye-Wise, the minister described the tragedy as avoidable and urged artisanal miners to stop entering abandoned pits without proper authorisation.
Alake said the victims could have benefited from government training and technical support if they had organised themselves into cooperatives and obtained the required mining permits.
While sympathising with the Plateau State Government and the families of the victims, the minister called on illegal miners to prioritise safety and comply with mining regulations.
“The challenge before the state and the Federal Government is how to turn these potential pits of death into centres of joyful prosperity,” Alake said.
The minister disclosed that the Federal Government had already rehabilitated 59 abandoned mining pits and was working with private-sector partners to restore thousands of other legacy mining sites across the country.
He said abandoned pits could be converted into productive assets, including renewable energy projects, tourism centres, fisheries and other commercial ventures capable of generating employment and economic growth.
To improve monitoring, Alake said the ministry had deployed Geographic Information System (GIS) satellite mapping and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to identify, assess and prioritise abandoned mine sites, with Plateau State serving as the pilot location.
He also announced plans to strengthen the Environmental Protection and Rehabilitation Fund, which will require mining companies to contribute towards the restoration of mining sites if they fail to rehabilitate them after operations.
“Very soon, we shall conclude discussions with the fund managers. Therefore, mining companies must pay to the Fund so that it can rehabilitate mine pits if the companies don’t do so during closure,” he said.
