ABUJA, Nigeria – Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says its security cooperation with the United States does not involve the deployment of foreign combat troops, following reports suggesting a US military presence in the country.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Director of Defence Information Major General Samaila Uba explains that Nigeria–US defence relations are centred on capacity building, intelligence sharing, professional military education and strategic dialogue.
“All engagements with the United States are conducted with full respect for Nigeria’s sovereignty,” Uba says, stressing that cooperation operates strictly within established bilateral frameworks.
The clarification follows comments by General Dagvin Anderson, head of the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), who recently disclosed that a small US military team had been deployed to Nigeria to support counterterrorism efforts.
Speaking after US airstrikes against militant targets on December 25, Anderson says Washington and Abuja agreed to “increase collaboration” to address regional security threats.
“That has led to increased collaboration between our nations, including a small US team bringing unique capabilities,” Anderson tells a virtual press conference.
However, the DHQ insists that such collaboration does not undermine Nigeria’s independence or command authority.
General Uba reassures citizens that the Armed Forces of Nigeria retain full control of all security operations, adding that international partnerships are designed to enhance national security outcomes rather than replace domestic capacity.
“Nigeria’s defence partnerships are transparent, policy-driven and constitutionally aligned,” the statement says.
The military leadership reiterates its commitment to protecting Nigeria’s territorial integrity while working with credible global partners to combat terrorism and transnational threats.
