FG Pledges End to ASUU Crisis, Assures Universities Stay Open

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to resolving the 16-year standoff with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), assuring Nigerians that public universities will remain open.

In a statement released Friday on its official X handle, the Federal Ministry of Education said the government was pursuing a “sustainable, realistic, and constitutionally backed” solution.

Minister of Education, Dr. Maruf Tunji Alausa, confirmed that President Bola Tinubu had directed him and Minister of State for Education, Prof. Suwaiba Sai’d Ahmad, to finalise negotiations. “Mr. President has mandated us to end this crisis once and for all, with accountability and honesty of purpose,” the Ministry quoted him as saying.

Addressing concerns over possible strike actions, the Ministry insisted recent ASUU protests would not escalate.

 It said progress had been made on key demands, including mainstreaming earned academic allowances, while clarifying that outstanding 35% wage arrears would be paid alongside other public servants.

A high-level meeting in Abuja, attended by ministers, legal officials, and budget officers, reviewed ASUU’s proposals line by line. A technical committee led by Education Permanent Secretary Abel Enitan has been set up to produce a clean counter-draft for the Yayale Ahmed-led negotiation committee.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *