Arewa Forum Accuses Lagos Government of Targeting Northerners in Demolition

LAGOS, Nigeria — A northern media group has accused the Lagos State Government of deliberately targeting Northerners in its demolition of the historic Alaba Rago Market, sparking fresh ethnic tensions in the commercial capital.

In a statement on Sunday, the Arewa Broadcast Media Practitioners Forum (ABMPF) alleged that the demolition destroyed hundreds of shops, more than 40 mosques, and left thousands of traders homeless.

“This inhumane action, which has left Northerners without a source of livelihood, is a clear manifestation of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s desire to drive away members of certain ethnic groups from Lagos State,” said Forum Chairman Abdullahi Yelwa.

The group estimated losses at over ₦20 billion and described the exercise as unconstitutional, claiming it was carried out without due process or notice. It accused the Lagos government of “land grabbing under the guise of modernisation.”

ABMPF also warned that the move could provoke retaliatory sentiments in Northern Nigeria and urged political, traditional, and religious leaders to intervene swiftly. “This demolition is not just about buildings but about identity and survival,” Yelwa said.

The Lagos government has not yet issued a formal response, though officials previously described Alaba Rago as an illegal settlement. The market, over 80 years old, has long been a hub for livestock and food trading.

The allegations highlight long-standing debates about land rights, migration, and ethnic relations in Lagos, Nigeria’s most populous city and economic powerhouse.

 

One thought on “Arewa Forum Accuses Lagos Government of Targeting Northerners in Demolition

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *