ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) may suspend its planned nationwide strike after the Federal Government released a fresh circular revising doctors’ remuneration.
At an Emergency Delegates Meeting (EDM) in Abuja on Wednesday, representatives from all 36 states and the FCT, alongside past leaders of the association, reviewed the government’s new directive.
NMA President, Bala Audu confirmed that the circular effectively nullifies the June 27 document that triggered the strike threat.
He described the revision as a “significant breakthrough” that could address long-standing disputes among health professionals.
“This development has the potential to restore relative peace and stability in the health sector,” Audu told delegates, adding that the strike would only be shelved once the new circular is fully implemented.
According to insiders, Babajide Saheed, chairman of the Lagos State branch, read the circular aloud during the meeting before delegates resolved to conditionally suspend the strike.
The association had earlier issued a 21-day ultimatum demanding the withdrawal of the June circular, which it said violated existing collective bargaining agreements.
Doctors also sought payment of arrears, enforcement of hazard allowances, and improvements to the Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF).
Beyond pay, the NMA is pushing for stronger welfare provisions, comprehensive health insurance for doctors, and reforms to curb internal brain drain.
For now, the strike hangs in the balance, with implementation of the circular serving as the final test of government commitment.